Free Tax Return Preparation for You by Certified Credit Union Volunteers
The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Programs offer free tax help for taxpayers who qualify. Indianhead Credit Union’s Spooner office is your local VITA/TCE and AARP tax assistance site. Free tax preparation is open to those who qualify, as listed below.
The VITA Program generally offers free tax help to people with low income who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals in local communities. They can inform taxpayers about special tax credits for which they may qualify such as Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled.
The TCE Program offers free tax help for all with priority assistance to people who are 60 years of age and older, specializing in questions about pensions and retirement issues unique to seniors. IRS-certified volunteers at Indianhead Credit Union provide tax counseling and assist seniors in preparing returns.
Items You Need to Bring
To have your tax return(s) prepared at Indianhead Credit Union’s VITA/TCE site you need to bring the following information with you:
- Proof of identification – Picture ID
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from financial institutions such as credit unions, banks and brokerage firms (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
We WILL Prepare the following Federal Forms and all Wisconsin Tax Forms that correspond to accepted Federal Forms:
- Form 1040 EZ
- Form 1040A With Schedule 1,2,3, & Earned Income Credit (EIC)
- Form 1040 With Schedule A,B,EIC, & R
- Form 1040-V
- Form 1040-ES
- Form 2441 (Child and Dependent Care Credit)
- Form 8863 (Education Credits)
- Form 8812 (Additional Child Tax Credit)
We WILL NOT Prepare the following Federal Forms:
- Schedule C (Profit or Loss from Business)
- Complicated & Advanced Schedule D (Capital Gains and Losses)
- Schedule E (Rents & Losses)
- Form SS-5 (Request for Social Security Number)
- Form 2106 (Employee Business Expenses)
- Form 3903 (Moving)
- Form 8606 (Non-deductible IRA)
- Form 8615 (Minor’s Investment Income)
**Please see a paid preparer for assistance with complicated returns**
Indianhead Credit Union begins scheduling tax appointments in mid-January. Appointments are limited to Wednesdays, Thursday afternoons, and Saturday mornings.